Turkey burgers, are made with ground turkey and are comparable to hamburger patties in that they are formed, seasoned, and cooked in the same manner. Hamburger patties are an option that can be substituted with turkey patties.
The formation, seasoning, and cooking of turkey burgers are analogous to that of hamburger patties. Before rushing towards the turkey burger recipe, let us first get to know what a turkey burger is.
1) What is a Turkey Burger?
Buns are the typical vehicle for holding turkey patties when they are served. The majority of the time, it is prepared in the same way that regular hamburgers are, which means that it is grilled, fried, or boiled.
Because turkey ground has a lower percentage of saturated fat and fewer calories than beef or pork ground, turkey ground burger is frequently used in its place. Pork and beef ground have a higher percentage of saturated fat.
To get the most flavour out of your turkey burgers, try using ground turkey thighs instead of ground beef.
1.1) Why Do People Prefer a Ground Turkey Burger?
These Ground Turkey Burgers are a hit with everyone because not only are they delicious, but they are also very healthy. If you’re looking to reduce the amount of fat in your diet, ground turkey thigh is a better choice than ground beef burgers.
Our turkey burgers have the same spiced flavour as regular hamburgers thanks to the extraordinary Italian seasoning we use on them.
In place of being dry, it had a juicy consistency. Because we have included these essential ingredients, the burgers will not become dry as a result of eating and now you can enjoy your juicy turkey burger with your favourite topping.
Making turkey burgers is not a big deal. Make it yourself from scratch! There are instructions provided for cooking turkey burgers on the stovetop, in the oven, and on the grill.
1.2) What is the Best Turkey Burger Recipe?
The good news is that preparing the best turkey burger from start to end is not at all a challenging task at any point in the process.
To make these meatballs, the only other ingredients you’ll need besides ground turkey, bread crumbs, onions, seasonings, and eggs are those listed above.
Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, chopped onion, garlic or garlic powder, egg whites, chopped fresh parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
To ensure that everything is evenly distributed, mix the ingredients in the bowl. To maintain the consistency and freshness of the delicious turkey burger, it is necessary to use a percentage of ground turkey that is not more than 93%.
The amount of salt and pepper that is added should reflect the individual’s taste preferences.
Create burger patties out of the ground turkey meat and the other ingredients, and then proceed to cook the turkey burgers in the way you wish to make them.
The ground turkey burger is healthier for your heart than other types of red meat due to the lower amount of saturated fat it contains. She has a history of high cholesterol, and as a result, she is always looking for alternatives that are healthy for the heart.
1.2.1) Equipment Needed
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Sharp Knife
- Thermometer to measure the internal temperature of turkey meat
- Metal Burger Spatula
It is possible to substitute soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for liquid smoke if you do not have any on hand. You will not be able to eat the flavorful liquid smoke, but the umami (savoury flavor) content will be quite high.
Put the burger patties in the refrigerator for about savoury half an hour before you grill them. If you let them cool down first, they would be able to get more solid and won’t fall apart as easily on the grill.
Add some dried chilli flakes to this burger patty if you want things on the spicier side of things.
If leftover is there, the ground turkey burger can be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 3 days.
184.108.40.206) To Freeze
Before beginning to cook the dish, you will need to finish the second step of the instructions for freezing it first. After spreading them uniformly in a thin layer on a sheet pan coated with parchment paper, they should be cooled in the refrigerator for one hour.
Once they have reached a solid state, place the turkey burger patties, with each one detached by parchment paper, in a bag or container that is safe for the freezer. At least three months should pass with the food in the frozen state.
You have the option of cooking the food from frozen straight away, or you can let it thaw in the refrigerator first before cooking it.
220.127.116.11) To Reheat
Before being roasted on the grill or the stovetop, the burgers should be allowed to defrost in the refrigerator for a whole night. Reheating hamburgers in the oven is an option. In an oven that has been preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, hamburgers can be baked for three to four minutes.
18.104.22.168) To Make Ahead
It is in your best interest to get ready ahead of time. Prepare the steak for cooking by the instructions provided in Step 2 of the recipe right before beginning the cooking process. Before baking them, place those on a baking tray that has been coated in baking parchment and pla) Prep time
It takes about 15 minutes to prepare a ground turkey burger.
- Cracked Bell Pepper
- Lean Ground turkey breast
- Kosher Salt and pepper
- Red Onion
- Italian seasoning
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Liquid smoke or Worcestershire sauce
- Panko bread crumbs
1.3) Best Turkey Burger Recipe
- First, Get a baking sheet ready. Start by wrapping a baking sheet in parchment paper and laying it aside. Combine all of the ingredients. Add the ground turkey to the basin used for mixing. In a bowl, mix the ingredients.
- Start a fire and grill hamburger buns. After slicing the mixture, gently shape it into four patties.
- Before placing the patties on the parchment-lined baking sheet, poke a hole in the center flavour texture on your finger. This ensures even cooking.
- Chill. Refrigerate burgers for 30–60 minutes. To enhance flavour texture, refrigerate them before grilling. It’s recommended but not necessary.
- The outdoor barbecue is ready for turkey meat (Which can be cooked in a large cast iron skillet). Cover the grill and cook the patties for four to five minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking process.
- With the lid on, cook for four to five more minutes (the side of the cooked turkey burger should not have grill marks).
- Temperature readings are essential. Take remove the black meat thermometer and get an accurate reading of the meat’s internal temperature.
- The core temperature should be at least 165°F.
1.4) How to Cook Turkey Burgers
In this recipe, the turkey burgers are cooked in a cast iron medium skillet on the stovetop; however, you can also cook them on a grill, in the oven, or an air fryer. The internal temperature of the turkey patties should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit after they have been cooked.
To get ready, first prepare the baking sheet and heat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After that, prepare the rest of the items needed to get ready. After that, you should contact the oven ready. Prepare the patties by placing each patty on a baking sheet and placing them in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
1.4.2) Cast-Iron Skillet
Over a flame of medium-low intensity, the oil is heated in a skillet of medium size. Sauté the hamburgers in a skillet on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes in total, flipping them once during that period.
To preheat a cast-iron skillet, place it in an oven that is located on top of the range.
In a hot pan made of cast iron, cook turkey burger patties for approximately four to five minutes on each side, or until the center of the food is no longer pink.
Place it on a bun, and then immediately top it with desired toppings, in any order you like.
1.4.3) The Air Fryer Cooking Appliance
Put the patties into the air fryer, then turn it to a temperature of 360 degrees Fahrenheit. 15 minutes of total cooking time, with one flipping event in the middle.
It is necessary to get the grill hot and then oil it lightly. Cook the turkey patties for about 10 minutes total, turning them once during that time.
1.5) What Ingredients Should Be Included in a Delicious Turkey Burger?
Toppings for turkey burgers can be completely customized, just like beef burger toppings can be completely customized. In this circumstance, you have complete freedom to express yourself in any imaginative or straightforward manner that strikes your fancy.
Cheese, lettuce tomato, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, and pickles are some of the most popular condiments that are used to make cooked turkey burgers healthier. Other popular condiments include pickles.
In addition, jalapenos can be added for a bit of heat, guacamole for a flavour that is reminiscent of Mexican cuisine, or an egg for a texture that is reminiscent of having breakfast for dinner. Each of these components is adaptable, and it is possible to use them in conjunction with the others.
You can improve the flavour of turkey burgers by topping them with the toppings of your choice, such as Italian seasoning, grilled mushrooms, or mashed avocado. Grilled mushrooms and mushrooms that have been mashed could also be added.
2) Other Ground Turkey Recipes
When it comes to substituting ground turkey for ground beef, there are only two factors that need to be taken into consideration.
First of all, ground beef has comparatively more fat, and since fat is equivalent to flavour, you may find that you need to add a touch more seasoning to your ground turkey dish. So it is recommended to use ground turkey instead of ground beef
2.1) Instant Pot Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
Meal Prep Time- 30 Minutes
- Cutting Board
- Instant Pot
- Sharp Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- The saute function should be activated, and the Instant Pot should be set to the medium-high heat setting. After the olive oil has been heated, the onions, garlic or garlic powder, and bell peppers should be added.
- During the two minutes that it is allowed to simmer, make sure that it is stirred consistently.
- You can use a ladle or a large spoon to break up the ground turkey into small pieces, but either one will do the trick. Turn off the sauté setting once the turkey has been broken up and lightly browned, or when it reaches about medium doneness, whichever comes first.
- To properly prepare the dish, it is necessary to combine the following components in a bowl: salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, chili powder, and Dijon mustard.
- Keep doing the stir-to-mix motion until everything is completely incorporated. Alternatively, one could use fiery mustard instead of dijon mustard.
- You need to start stirring the water again. Mix the tartar sauce, lettuce tomato paste, and tomato paste in a pressure cooker.
- Do not stir. You must avoid getting the burn notice when consuming ketchup because it contains sugar.
- Before you start using the Instant Pot, you need to move the valve to the Wrapping position and double-check that the lid is properly fastened. The cooking process takes a total of eight minutes and takes place at high pressure throughout.
- After you have completed everything, first make a rapid release, and then raise the cover. After mixing all ingredients properly, the scallions should be added and stirred in.
- For serving, you should use rolls of puff pastry that have only very recently been baked.
If you want to give it a bit more of a kick, you can add a couple of tablespoons of your favourite hot sauce to the mixture. This will make it a bit more of a chilli flavour. Just add it to the rest of the ingredients at the same time as the tomato paste and ketchup.
After cooking, if your mixture seems to be too watery when you remove the lid, use the function for the large skillet to dry it out for a few minutes so that you can use it.
If this does not work, make a sludge by combining starch or flour with a quarter cup of ice water and gradually stir it into the mixture as it simmers on the sauté setting. This will make it more substantial undoubtedly.
- Medium onion or onion powder
- Canola Oil/ Pan spray
- Ground pepper to taste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato ketchup
- Pound lean ground turkey
- Hamburger buns (whole wheat)
- To begin, grate the onion or onion powder on a grater with small holes so that you can shred it. Include roughly half a tablespoon and a half’s worth of onion that has been finely chopped.
- Before adding it to the bowl, you should first combine the ground turkey with pepper salt, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a separate bowl. Use a fork or spoon to mix the ingredients.
- Because of the high level of fluidity present in the mixture, you will need to form it into four dough balls and then press them out to a width of 12 inches. This will be necessary so that the mixture can be worked with.
- The second step in the process is to preheat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick frying pan. You can use either the stovetop or a skillet.
- Before using the griddle or the pan, there is also the choice of spraying it with nonstick cooking oil.
- Cooking turkey burgers should take five minutes on each side, or until a hand can be held about half an inch above the skillet or pan without getting burned. Then the burgers are considered done.
- Put whatever you want on top of the buns, and then serve them as the main course cuisine and enjoy your delicious turkey burgers.
For Serving These Could be Used
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced Onion
- Onion powder
- Tomato Ketchup
- Sliced Red Pepper
2.2) Herbed Turkey Burger Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium minced red onion
- 3 cloves and garlic
- 2 pounds of ground turkey meat (preferably dark meat)
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- fresh sage
- fresh thyme
2.2.2) To serve:
- 8 burger buns
- Sliced onions, lettuce tomato
- Mayonnaise, mustard, relish, and ketchup
- Sauté red onion in virgin oil for three minutes over medium heat. Fry the garlic for two minutes until it browns. Stop the heat. Transfer this garlic and onions to a wide basin to chill.
- After the onions cool, add herbs, ground turkey, salt, and pepper. Hand-mix ingredients. Incorporate herbs without overworking the meat.
- Lightly press each patty to make a hole. Burgers shrink from the outside when cooked.
- The patties will have a more uniform shape and less central bulge if the middle is much thinner than the borders.
- Cook on a grill or cast-iron skillet over high heat for five to six minutes per side, or until the core meat thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Barbecue grills must be heated on high for ten minutes before being lightly oiled.
- To prevent sticking, grease the pan before cooking burgers. Salt’s lubricating characteristics help the patties flip.
- These juicy turkey burgers are served on toasted buns with mayonnaise (best with mayonnaise), lettuce, tomato, sliced onions, and mustard.
Do Turkey Patties Offer Any Additional Health Benefits over Beef Patties?
The amount of fat contained in the ground meat has a direct bearing on this. When compared with a turkey burger made with 99% lean turkey, the beef patty will have a higher caloric and fat content than the turkey patty.
Despite this, if you look at the calorie and fat content of lean ground turkey which is 93% poor in comparison to ground beef which also is 93% lean, users will find that the two foods have very similar amounts of each. Since it contains less dietary fat than ground beef, ground turkey is a mildly more nutritious alternative to ground beef.
Which is a Better Option: Ground Chicken or Ground Turkey in Maintaining Health?
Both ground turkey and ground chicken are still considered to be relatively healthy options, even though turkey ground has a fat content that is typically lower than the chicken ground.
When compared to chicken, turkey has a lower total calorie count, a lower sodium content, a higher iron content, and a slightly higher protein content than chicken. Turkey also contains slightly less sodium.
What is the Average Calorie in a Turkey Burger?
There is one serving size available for these turkey burger patties, and it will set you back a total of 215 nutritional calories, but that’s not all.
How Unhealthy is a Ground Turkey Burger?
After being cooked, a turkey burger that is 4 ounces in size and has not been cooked contains 193 nutrition calories, 3 grams of saturated fat, 11 grams of fat, and 22 grams of protein.
This is because its composition consists of both white and dark meat, which accounts for this characteristic of the product. It is an adequate source of phosphorus, zinc, and vitamin B6, in addition to being an excellent source of selenium and niacin, which are both essential nutrients.
4. Bottom Line
To summarise what has been discussed previously, turkey burgers made with ground turkey are a wonderful option for food to eat both as a snack and as a main course. Despite the relatively low number of calories that are contained in this burger, you can still enjoy eating it together with the flavour of the meat. I hope you liked the turkey burger recipe and that you will give it a shot sometime.
Do let us know in the comments which is the best turkey burger recipe!
Click here to read more.As an Amazon Associate, Icy Canada earns from qualifying purchases.