Emergency Housing in Canada: What Are Your Options?

Your home is your castle, right? This is why we dread to think of what would happen if we were in a situation that forced us from our homes. 

But this has become more and more likely worldwide, primarily due to climate change. Flooding, caused by record downpours and forest fires, has seen thousands upon thousands of families lose their homes. They’ve been transferred to temporary accommodation with no preparations or plans.

With these natural disasters occurring more often, it could be beneficial to look into your options if your home isn’t sufficiently prepared.

Short-Term Rentals

Short-term rentals are temporary housing options that may be available to you through your insurance provider if you require accommodation for 30 days or more. This is the case with DelSuites; this short-term rental accommodation has built relationships with the insurers in Toronto to offer their customers the best stays if their homes have been damaged. 

They have a wide range of short-term rental accommodations available, from studios to three-bedroom apartments. All of their apartments are fully furnished (including linens and cutlery) and ready for you to move straight in if you’re facing an emergency housing situation. 

Municipal Shelters

If you’re caught in a natural disaster in Canada, your municipality should have a temporary shelter set up for you to go to. If you don’t have any family or friends that you can stay with, this is your best option for temporary housing.

They’re often set up in schools, churches, community halls, and gymnasiums. They’ll be well equipped with food, bedding, and clean facilities. They’ll also be staffed with social workers who will help you with your options.

Emergency Shelters

If you’re not able to go to a municipal shelter, you can always go to an emergency shelter. These are run by charities, community groups, and the government. They’re often located in churches, community halls, or recreation centres.

They’re often packed to the max, so you’ll want to make sure you’re registered as soon as possible. They’ll only be able to take you in if they have the space.

Relief Centres

Relief centres are designed for short-term stays for those affected by a natural disaster. They’ll provide you with food, water, sanitation, and security.

Government authorities or charities often set them up. You’ll be registered at your municipal office.

To Sum Up…

Sometimes, no matter if it’s summer or winter, there are situations where you’ll need to find somewhere to stay for a short period. This is where short-term rentals or municipal shelters are beneficial. If you’re not able to go to either of these, you can always go to an emergency shelter.

With all of these types of emergency housing, it’s essential to have the proper insurance. Your home is your castle, so it’s crucial to have the resources available to fix it up so you can move back in. 

If you’re not sure what kind of insurance you have, talk to your insurance provider about it. They’ll be able to help you out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *