Having guests over is almost always fun. At least for a few days anyway. However, after the pleasantries, settling in, and catching up, sometimes it can be difficult to come up with fun stuff for everyone to do.
There’s only so much time that watching movies and football are entertaining, and if it’s a crowd of mixed ages, classic board games barely get a glance by today’s kids. If you’re expecting company with the upcoming holiday season, you should take a few minutes to check out the ideas below, and this year may be the best family get-together yet.
Fun For Any Occasion
While the kids would probably much rather be hooked up to real-time video playing the most popular games of the year, these get-togethers are for spending time together. Whether it’s a wedding, birthday party, or holiday, check out these games that are fun anytime.
- How’s Yours?: You won’t need any PC gaming tips for this one. Choose one participant to be the guesser and ask them to step outside the room for a moment. Meanwhile, the remaining group selects a common feature, which could be related to hair, clothing, or a body part. When the guesser returns, they pose a question to any participant: “How’s yours?” The participant should then respond with a single adjective that describes their chosen characteristic (for example, for legs, words like ‘short’, ‘hairy’, or ‘painful’ could be used). Continue this process until the guesser correctly identifies the chosen feature.
- 2 Truths and a Lie: In this engaging game, the participant is required to share three statements about themselves. For instance, “I’m an only child, I’ve never been out of state, and I collect stamps.” Among these, two must be factual, and one must be false. The challenge for the others is to identify the deceptive statement. The game then moves on to the next individual. This activity serves as an intriguing icebreaker, and, when played with friends or family, obscure facts can be incorporated to make the game even more exciting and challenging.
Games for Adults
Of course, adults may want some fun games to play after the kids are off to bed or lost in cloud gaming, and there are some great ones available these days.
- Tapple:This fast-paced word game will have everyone on their toes as they race against the timer to come up with words that match a category and start with a particular letter. It’s perfect for adults who love word games and challenges.
- Cards Against Humanity: This one is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it can be hilariously fun for adults with a dark sense of humor. Players take turns filling in the blanks on prompt cards with phrases that are politically incorrect, offensive, and often downright inappropriate.
Activities for Kids
Kids can sometimes be the hardest to please when it comes to games and activities, especially if there are a variety of ages in the group. Here are some ideas to keep them entertained.
- Indoor Treasure Hunt: Create clues and hide small prizes around the house for the kids to find. It’s a great way to keep them entertained and give them some exercise at the same time. For younger kids, you can include pictures instead of written clues.
- Cupcake Decorating: Kids love getting creative, and what’s more fun than decorating cupcakes with frosting, sprinkles, and other toppings? You can even turn it into a competition by having everyone vote on the best-looking cupcake.
In conclusion, the key to keeping guests of all ages entertained lies in preparing a variety of games and activities that cater to everyone’s interests. Making your gatherings fun and engaging will ensure that your guests look forward to their next visit.