Getting a USA Visa for Your Spouse

  • by
Getting a USA Visa for Your Spouse 1

American citizens have two major options of bringing their foreign wives or husbands to the U.S. to live. However, if you are not married yet, it is important to check out fiancé options.

Getting a USA Visa for Your Spouse

Immigrant Visas for Spouses in the U.S.

It is possible to sponsor your spouse’s immigrant visa to enter the United States. If you follow this option, your foreign spouse will need to complete the entire visa process outside the U.S. They will then arrive in the United States and receive permanent residency status immediately.

You will be expected to submit an immigrant (Petition for Alien Relative) Form 1-130.  After USCIS, the U.S. Embassy and the National Visa Center complete all the required administrative processing. Your spouse will then be awarded an immigrant visa. Your spouse will receive either an IR1 or a CR1 visa.

What is an IR1?

An IR-1 has initialed that stands for “Immediate Relative.” This visa supports your spouse’s entry to the U.S. as an immigrant. C.R. stands for “conditional Residency.” This is given to an American citizen’s spouse if you have been married for less than two years.

The State of Your Foreign Spouse’s Children

Foreign spouses of U.S. citizens can come to the U.S. on nonimmigrant visas (K-4 visas) as they wait to complete the immigration process. A parent must obtain a K-3 visa before their children are issued a K-4 visa.

Conditions for Marriage Below 2 Years

For couples who have been married for less than two years when their foreign-born spouse became a permanent resident, the green card applied will expire after two years. The couple needs to submit a joint petition to remove the 2-year condition.

How to Make Sure Your Spouse Qualifies for a U.S. Visa?

A US citizen who plans to file their foreign fiancée or partner’s visa petition living outside the U.S. may have several strategies to choose from. The most regular options are the K-3 visa, K-1 fiancée visa, or the CR1/IR1 immigrant visa.

This article analyses the requirements needed to be met before this visa is granted.

To obtain any of the three visas mentioned above, you must meet the following requirements.

1. You Must be Legally Married

Merely living together doesn’t qualify a marriage for immigration. Unmarried partners are unqualified to sponsor visas to their partners to the United States.

2. A Permanent Residence in the U.S.

In most cases, one must have a permanent residence in the United States to apply. If you live outside the U.S., you must present a visa petition (form 1-130). You can submit this petition directly to the available U.S. Embassy where your foreign spouse lives or the local USCIS (U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services).

3. You Must Be 18 Years and Above

Before signing an affidavit of support, one must be 18 years of age and above. An affidavit form may not be required at the initial stage of filing a partner’s visa petition, but it will be needed later in the process.

For your green card to be valid, you must be a permanent dweller of the USA and have resided in the U.S. for the previous six months. If the officer at the U.S. Port of Entry realizes you have been outside the country for more than six months, they can cancel it.

U.S. Economy Will Crash If Indian Immigrants Are Stopped From Entering

Indian skilled immigrants are an integral part of the U.S. economy. But President Donald Trump doesn’t think so. During his campaign and after starting an office, Trump always campaigned that his government would develop important skills. But it seems like he is doing exactly the opposite. This is a breach of the promise he made and threatens the Indians currently living in the U.S. on H-1B visas.

We all know Trump’s impulsive nature. He has been the most violent and rampant about the H-1B visa system. Any skilled immigrant gets an H-1B visa after being appointed by a U.S. employer to work in the U.S. After working for the company, most of them applied for citizenship and permanently stayed there with their families. U.S. companies have been bringing Indian skilled immigrants in lots to get work done. It is technically wrong, but it does improve the U.S. economy. People who have been on H-1B visas for a long time are facing difficulties in renewing them.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services puts tremendous pressure on U.S. employers to choose the best and most skilled immigrant employers. If they find a person with similar capabilities in the U.S., the employer has to select him.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *