Roulette is an online casino game. The game of roulette was invented from the failed efforts of Blaise Pascal who wanted to create the motion machine in the 17th century. The ‘little wheel’ invented by Pascal was used in different countries who adopted different styles of this particular game, depending on the various available forms.
American roulette adopted a wheel with numbers 1 to 28, a single zero, a double zero and an American eagle solely responsible for a more significant house edge. This American form gained prominence only after adding a single zero in the French version, which is also the oldest and original version of the game. The Americans later added a double zero after the game became quite famous. If you are new to this game, this article will help you with all the necessary information and guidelines for better performance.
Different types of Roulette Wheel
- French or European Roulette Wheel: It has numbers from 1 to 36, represented either by black or red, with a green zero.
- American Roulette Wheel: It has numbers from 1 to 36, with a double as well as single zero, making the total number of numerical digits to be 38.
It is advisable to start with French or European Roulette and proceed to American Roulette only when you have gained some experience and skills. In this article, we will majorly focus on French Roulette since it is a beginner’s guide to learn the art of gaming.
Placing a Bet
After you have finally opted for the online casino site of your choice, you will be given a particular period within which you need to place your bet. The following steps will guide you through:
- Click on the chip that represents the stake size which you have chosen.
- Click on the numbers or the sections that you want to bet on. A symbol representing your chip will appear on the number that you have chosen.
- The dealer will call ‘no more bets’ after which the wheel will automatically start spinning. It happens only in a live roulette game.
- If it is not a live roulette game, you need to click on ‘spin’ or ‘spin wheel’ button so that the wheel starts to spin.
- When the wheel stops, the ball lands on a winning number which will be displayed on the screen. You can now place your bets on the next spin. If you win, the winning amount will be automatically transferred to your account. Following this, you can either choose to continue by placing new bets, or you can quit the game.
A quick tip: Quit the game if you win, do not get tempted.
Types of Bet
There are various types of bet categorised as outside bets and inside bets. Inside bets completely deal with numbers on a roulette wheel, that is, 0 to 36. Following are the types of inside bets:
- Straight: You are required to place a bet either on a single number or on numbers at odds of 35/1. If you place a bet of 10 on number ’13’ and it lands on the number ’13’, you will win a bonus/an amount of 360.
- Split: Unlike straight, you need to place your bet on two different numbers that are next to each other on the betting table.
- Street: You need to place your bet on three consecutive numbers, for instance, 10, 11 and 12 and you will be offered odds of 11/1 if the chosen number lands!
- Corner or Square: You are required to bet on four numbers, and your bet is placed when you put your chip on the cross where these numbers meet. The odds offered are 8/1.
- Six-number: You need to place your bet on two lines of numbers which are adjacent to each other. Odds of 5/1 are offered for this type of bet.
Outside bets are the ones that are outside of the individual numbers. These are of following types:
- Red or Black: You need to place a bet on the colour that the ball will land on. The odds of even money (1/1) are offered. If you bet ten on red and it lands on red, you will win 20 bonus points. If the ball falls on green or black, you will lose.
- Odds and Evens: You can bet on whether the winning number will be an odd number or an even number. The odds offered are 1/1.
- Field Bet: You can choose two different ranges of the number, from 1 to 18 and from 19 to 36. You will be required to place your bets on all the numbers within the chosen range. The odds offered are 1/1.
- Columns: There are three columns, and each of these has a section marked ‘2 to 1’ at the end. It would be best if you bet on the column by placing your chip at this end section. The odds offered are 2/1. This particular bet covers all twelve numbers within the column that you have chosen.
- Dozens: It covers twelve numbers, and the odds of 2/1 are offered. You can place your bet by setting your chip on these sections – 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36.
Tips for Beginners
- Keep your stakes low if you are a beginner.
- It is advisable not to opt for American Roulette.
- Starting with outside bets is recommended. The outside bets have lower odds which eventually pay less, but these will help you to learn the game properly.
- Stick to the stakes that you have set.
Roulette is a fun and profitable game because of the number of benefits and options provided by it. If you are up for it, keep in mind these guidelines, and you will always be on the winning side.As an Amazon Associate, Icy Canada earns from qualifying purchases.