I will take you through Sunshine Village Ski Resort and the best features that this Ski Resort offers to plan your ski trip accordingly.
If you’re looking to let off some steam from your work-grind or wanting a break from your monotonous daily routine, this is one of the best opportunities to do so. Imagine yourself gliding down the spotless snow-covered mountains, feeling the crisp, cool, and clean air on your face; even the thought of this will leave you refreshed and exhilarated.
Whether it be the mesmerizing white view, the adrenaline rush from trying out something new, the breathtaking view from the chairlifts, the fantastic adventure you have with your family and friends, or the new confidence you gain in yourself, you would surely thank yourself for making time for this ski trip.
Where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort?
Now let’s talk about where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort located. Spread over three mountains, namely Mount Standish, the Lookout Mountain, and the Goat’s Eye Mountain, is the Banff Sunshine Village, in the heart of the Banff National Park. This is the highest ski resort in Canada, set in Western Canada, on the Continental Divide of the famous Canadian Rockies. It is spread over the Banff National Park and also the Mt Assiniboine Provincial Park in British Columbia.
It is just 15 minutes from Banff and a 90-minute drive from Calgary International Airport. The resort stretches over about 3,300 acres of skiable terrain and provides diverse terrains options depending on the skier’s level. The glacially-fed Banff Lake Louise in the Banff National Park is quite a sight to behold, with its mesmerizing azure blue shade of waters. The Sunshine Mountain Lodge is the only ski-in/ ski-out hotel accommodation in the Banff-Lake region and is at its base.
The official ski season begins in early November and usually ends in late May, the most extended non-glacial season in Canada. The Sunshine Village receives over 30 feet of snowfall every year and is at an altitude of 7,082 feet, ensuring the snow stays dry throughout the year.
After knowing where Sunshine Village Ski Resort is, get to know what type of terrains/ runs it offers
Like I mentioned before, the Sunshine Village offers diverse terrains depending on the skier’s levels ranging from beginner greens to the extreme world-famous double-black Delirium Dive. Tree-lined slopes for beginners is 20%, wide-open above tree-line is 55%, and expert terrain is 25%
The Strawberry Jim Park offers easy-intermediate terrain for beginners to practice. Great Divide Park has some fantastic snow and is suitable for intermediate level skiers.
Uninterrupted by any civilization, the only way to travel and explore these miles of terrain and mountains is by a high-speed eight-seater gondola ride and in chairlifts with heated plush seating, first of its kind in the whole of Canada. Starting at the parking lot, the gondola ride’s first stop, the Goat’s Eye Express, is at the Goat’s Eye Mountain, which offers intermediate to advanced terrain. The mountain tops at about 9,200 feet, but the chairlift ride is at a lesser altitude.
To continue to visit the other two mountains, you have first to take 3 lifts each respectively to reach Mt. Standish(beginner-intermediate) and the Lookout Mountain (intermediate-advanced). Banff Sunshine was even awarded for the “Best View from the Best Off-Piste Run” by the Ski Canada magazine.
On Mount Standish, you can ski on the runs of Standish Express, Wawa, and Strawberry Express, and on Lookout Mountain, you can use the runs of Teepee Town LX, Angel Express, and The Great Divide Express.
45 minutes east of Banff, we can find Lake Louise, which is a sight that leaves you dumbfounded with its serene beauty.
The Hike Up Trail at the Goat’s Eye Mountain leads to Saddledome, Stampede, and Renegade’s great slopes. These advanced-level runs then lead into the Eagle Glades and the Eagle Creek. Next up on Mount Standish, get off at Strawberry Express for the Dell Valley, and at Wawa Quad for the Meadow Park, both green runs for beginners to practice their turns and gain confidence.
The Delirium Dive and the Wild West offer wild and exciting adventures for experts and advanced level skiers. Delirium Dive offers one of the steepest and most hair-raising lines, but it is gratifying for the adventurous. Even the most skiers expert must be carefully equipped with an avalanche beacon and appropriate gear for safety purposes. Bushwhackers and Horto’s Revenge at Teepee Town Luxury Express Quad offer luxe chairlifts with heated plush seating and covered orange bubble.
The longest ski run in this resort is up-to 8 km.
The price of lift tickets varies with age groups. For ages 5 and under is free and above 65+is a fixed rate of $99+GST. For ages 6-12, ages 13-17, and ages 18+ is $49, $99, and $127 respectively, with GST applicable in each case.
5. Important Dates and Timings:
- Opening/Closing: November to May 25 (on Victoria Day)
- Gondola Hours: Saturday – Thursday: 8 am – 5:30 pm Friday: 8 am – 10:30 pm
- Lift hours everyday:8:00 am to 5:00 pm
6. Hotel Stay:
Sunshine Mountain Lodge offers a broad range of rooms. Their prices range from being relatively affordable to expensive suites ideal for families, and you may choose the places based on the specific outside view you want to have. The Lodge boasts an outdoor hot tub, which can be followed up by a trip to a cedar-lined sauna, and has a gym with all standard equipment such as a treadmill, yoga mats, and so on.
- West Wing Loft Rooms
- West Wing Premiere Rooms
- Main Lodge Suites
- Deluxe Balcony Rooms
- Deluxe Waterfall Rooms
To check room availability, click here: https://www.reseze.net/servlet/WebresResDesk?hotelid=1388.
Most visitors prefer a family trip to Banff Sunshine Ski Resort during the winter vacation because of the below-mentioned kid/family-friendly activities:
- Offers a great variety of terrain depending on skier level
- Short and safe runs for beginners
- Sightseeing tours on chairlifts
- A spectacular gondola ride
- Ski lessons for kids and adults/ beginners
- Week long-planned programs
- Snowshoe adventure through Sunshine Meadows
- Verde Day Spa: pamper and rejuvenate yourself and take a rest after skiing
- Access to the gym
9. Skiing Lessons:
The resort offers these lessons for any age group for new beginners or skiers who want to improve their skills. For more experienced skiers, they are provided small workshops and private sessions to hone their existing skills. The instructors responsible for the lessons are very professional and are very supportive and patient. The price of skiing lessons varies with different age categories.
8. Where to Eat?
Before getting into the gondola to begin your day, grab some coffee or a latte at the Java Station some fantastic pastries and sandwiches. For adults, they also serve beer and other drinks. For lunch, you can stop at Chimney Corner or Mad Trappers, or The Alpine Grill, which is a great place to take your kids as they serve pizzas, pasta, and what not! Most importantly we don’t have to worry about gaining weight and can eat anything of our choice, because skiing will help you stay fit and in shape all the time!
Get your favorite food at these restaurants following are the top-visited and loved restaurants in the Sunshine Mountain Lodge or near to it:
The Chimney Corner
HOURS: 7:00 am – 10:00. am
Mad Trapper’s Smokehouse
HOURS: 10:30 am – 5:30 pm
Java Lift Coffee Bar
HOURS: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
HOURS: 7:30 am – 5:30 pm
The Alpine Grill
HOURS: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Creekside Bar + Grill
HOURS: 11:00 am – 5:30 pm
HOURS: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
9. Events Celebrated here:
- Remembrance Day At Sunshine Village (NOV 11): This is to honor all those who have served the country and is done with sparing a moment of silence at 11:00 am, broken by the sound of bagpipes later.
- Santa On The Mountain (Dec 12-13): This day, Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus will give away candy canes while also riding the slopes on a snowboard. You can even get your pictures clicked with them.
- Christmas Torch Parade (DEC 24): Here, you get to see fine torch bearers put on a show for the Sunshine Mountain Lodge guests.
- New Year’s Torchlite Parade(DEC 31): Here, you get to see fine torch bearers put on a show for the Sunshine Mountain Lodge guests at night.
- Slush Cup: On Monday of May long weekend, Sunshine Village organizes the famous Slush Cup, where adventurous and daring skiers try to make it across a freezing slushy pool of water. This has been celebrated every year for over 90 years and is an enjoyable experience.
Where to Shop?
The resort offers several shops and retail locations that sell clothing, gear, equipment, helmets, snowboards, branded souvenirs and gifts and decor with the Sunshine logo, etc. All skiers are advised to wear clothes and equipment that complement the weather. Please take care to wear thermal under your clothes and also apply sunscreen at all times.
Sunshine Sports: From 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
Monarch Sports: From 8:30 A.M. to 9:00 P.M.
Bureau Sports: From 8:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Banff Avenue Sports: From 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
11. Safety Measures:
- Never ski or ride if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Kindly ensure good physical and mental ability and knowledge to load, ride, and unload lifts safely.
- Adjust your space and speed and stay aware of keeping everyone safe.
- While gliding downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and steer clear of others.
- Remember to stay in control of your balance and stop or avoid other oncoming people or objects.
- Remember to keep your skis straight ahead and look behind you for the oncoming chair.
- While taking out things from your pocket, be cautious not to drop your phone, glove, pole, and other items on skiers and riders below.
- Check for any loose equipment and clothing, and that apparel is not caught in the chair.
- The Sunshine staff also shares user responsibility for our free ride zones of Delirium Dive and The Wild West.
- Please consider the risks that accompany skiing on terrain features that you choose.
- Before planning to come here, kindly read exactly where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort and whether the weather conditions are appropriate for you.
12. Restrictions on the Equipment allowed:
Only the following types of personal ski equipment is allowed in the resort during skiing activities
- Snow skates
- Telemark skis
13. How to reach the Sunshine Ski Resort/Where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort?
If you want to reach sunshine village ski resort by air, you can get off at the Calgary International Airport, which offers well-connected flights from almost all major cities in the world, such as Mexico City, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Beijing, and so on. You can take the shuttle busses from the Calgary International Airport, such as the Banff Airporter, the Brewster Bus, or Banff Transportation. To get here by the transport of your choice or to know exactly where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort, you can click here: https://www.skibanff.com/getting_here.
The location has also been given in the section ‘Where is Sunshine Village Ski Resort’ at the beginning of the article.
Watch this video to get a clear top-to-bottom view of the complete area:
Banff Sunshine Village Ski Resort is famous for having the best snow, as the snow here is not artificially generated but collected and preserved after a snowfall. It is one of the best places to go skiing and snowboarding with your family and friends and come back refreshed. When you overcome the challenge of skiing for the first time, you will feel better about yourself and can release your mental baggage and stress.
The amazing view and fun-filled activities around people you care about will surely help you build your confidence and grow closer as a family. I hope you found this article helpful in exploring the Sunshine Village Ski Resort and will give you a visit with your family and friends.
Similar articles you can visit: