Before we jump right into the recipe for Montreal steak spice or Montreal steak seasoning, as some may refer to it, let’s know what this robust blend of spice mix is? Every foody out there who loves to serve their taste buds just the right way knows the essence of seasoning the food before savoring it!
Be it a freshly tossed pizza or a newly grilled barbeque! Everything tastes better when accompanied by a good seasoning mix. Imagine eating pizza without oregano or chili flakes? Too blunt, right? Or, having French Fries without a small bowl of cheesy dip?
Be it, any dish it is always fairer to add spices or seasoning to it so that the flavors can give their best shot!
So, what is this fuss about the Montreal steak spice? Is there a perfect way to create homemade Montreal steak spice? What is the nutritional information for this spice blend?
I will be answering all of these questions in this article.
History of the Montreal Steak Seasoning
Montreal steak spice, also known as Canadian steak spice or Canadian steak seasoning, is an antique recipe. What is it that makes the Montreal steak spice stand out from others? Is it mandatory to add in these spices while making Montreal smoked meat?
Well, let me guide you through the history of these mouth-watering spices, which are considered a must while making steak or chicken!
Old Montreal is the place where it all began. As is evident by most other articles, McCormick, the founder of Montreal steak spice, designated the beauty of this robust blend of spices to be quite accidental.
However, the truth is the real face behind the Montreal steak spices turned out to be Mr. Morris Sherman, a cook at a famous restaurant in Montreal. While brewing some liver steaks, Sherman began adding some of these to it. As a result, customers began demanding the same mix of spice on their steak as well.
This spice blend started becoming famous across the town and the nation in no time. It was then that McCormick grasped the opportunity to make the most of this pepper and garlic mix! The recipe started gaining love across the other nations as well.
Normally, the steak was served in much more decent French-style flavors. But, after the booming popularity of the Montreal steak spice, everyone seemed more of it.
It was strange that a recipe of dill seed, red pepper, salt, garlic, and ginger gained so much fame in such a short period.
Montreal steak spice: Nutrition information
Spicy foods are predominantly a bit acidic for your gut. Adding spices or seasoning with inappropriate content for saturated fats and other nutritional requirements might cause a problem.
Fortunately, you can be a bit relaxed when it comes to the Montreal steak seasoning! These spices will alleviate the chances of getting hyperacidity or other gut-related disorders.
- Gluten-free (A gluten-free seasoning is perfect for other uses like marinade preparation)
- Saturated fat 0g
- Calories 0g
- Carbohydrates 0g
- Trans fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 0.1g
The above spice extractives depict the essential nutritional benefits of consuming these spices. Therefore, you can rest assured that you are gonna be cooking a highly essential recipe for your smoked meat, grilled meats, chicken, and steaks similarly.
How to make homemade Montreal steak spice?
Although many would prefer to order a marketed product, a more personalized experience would be to prepare this spice blend on your own. You must be curious why I would prefer homemade Montreal steak spice over the marketed ones? One strong reason for this is that I can manage my favorite flavors the way I opt to.
Managing the flavor profile comes easy when you are the cook. So how do we create this homemade Montreal steak spice mix? Follow the full recipe given below to get the most satisfying Montreal steak seasoning out there!
- Granulated onion
- Granulated garlic (dehydrated garlic would be best)
- Granulated ginger
- Black pepper
- Dill seed
- Coriander seed
- Paprika (shouldn’t be smoked)/ Red pepper flakes/ Cyanne pepper
- High oleic sunflower oil
- Spice grinder
- Airtight container
- Small bowl
Recipe for homemade Montreal steak spice
- In a spice grinder, add the coriander seeds and grind them finely. This step can also be done with the traditional mortar and pestle as well.
- Next, grind the dill seeds as well. This process helps to get those bolder grilling flavors that everyone loves to savor.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tbsp of black pepper and paprika (or red pepper) spices each. Consider lowering this amount if you are not into excess spicy food.
- Then, add 2 tbsp of salt. You can adjust the taste of salt as per your requirement.
- Add 1 tbsp of granulated onion, ginger, and garlic each. If you don’t like the smell of onion, you can skip it. The same goes for garlic as well. However, adding a tiny bit of it would level your spice blend.
- Add 1 tbsp of ground coriander and dill seeds each.
- Lastly, add in some oil, and while stirring, constantly mix all the spices to get a perfect mix of gourmet spices.
- Store this Montreal steak spice/ Montreal steak seasoning in an airtight container for further use.
- While storing the Montreal steak spice, ensure accurate date information is recorded on the product label on your airtight container. The correct labeling will help you to keep a check on the expiration date of the spices.
- If you wish to prolong the storage period of this spice blend, consider adding 1 tbsp of white vinegar to the spices. If maintained properly, that is, kept in an airtight container, the seasoning can last for more than a year.
The spices in this recipe are given in the exact amount to help you get that perfect flavor from Montreal delis. Subsequently, you can skip some of the other ingredients as per your need. But, to get that classic old Montreal flavor, it would be best to follow the recipe as described above.
One must not forget that the relishing taste of this seasoning comes from the robust blend of onions, garlic, and other spices in appropriate proportions. Therefore, to get a flavorful steak, it would be best to add generous amounts of all the spices mentioned above.
Check out the comparison between two of the famous Montreal steak seasoning brands!
Furthermore, try to get through equipment clean-up once you are done cooking your spice mix. You don’t wanna get those spices on your hands and not on your face!
This Montreal steak seasoning is perfect for seasoning any piece of meat, right from chicken to smoked meat. Plus, you can use this seasoning with other dishes like marinades, pizza, and sandwiches as well.
One can manage additional layers of spice while cooking chicken and steaks to get rich flavors. Don’t forget to manage the salt levels accordingly.
(NOTE: Recipe variations are quite common. The ingredient statement may differ from person to person according to their serving size and choice of flavor.)