Indian food is famous for its tangy savour of spices like black pepper, green cardamom, clove, and cumin.
The flavour of Indian food is known all around the world. Most people favour non-veg cuisines since they don’t find any exciting vegetarian varieties, and that’s why people love Indian food since authentic Indian cuisine provides a wide variety of veg and non-veg dishes.
Authentic Indian food exhibits ancient Indian culture and solidarity. Each state has its variety which gives complete satisfaction, and Indian restaurants in Halifax can offer you the best flavours from the cuisine.
If you are planning to visit Halifax ns or; if you are a resident, you should visit Indian restaurants Halifax. They serve the best Indian food that is gluten-free and gives glimpses of India and its culture.
Indian Restaurants in Halifax You Need to Visit
1. Naan n Curry
Address: 6386 Quinpool Rd, Halifax, NS B3L 4N2, Canada
Naan n curry spot is apt if you look forward to a sweet dining experience. It serves the best authentic Indian cuisine grabbing the actual flavour from the land of India to Nova Scotia tables.
They offer a wide variety of dishes, including starters, main courses, and dinner, concluding with some famous Indian sweets. Also, have different spice levels, set to the customer’s wish.This Indian restaurant offer veg and non-veg dish as per customers’ need. In the case of chicken dishes, they also provide halal chicken and lamb biryani at an affordable rate.
They offer proper classic Indian food, On-demand, vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free dishes, and some inspired unconventional dishes.
If you want to enjoy a simple night’s cuisine, you should choose this restaurant. This Indian restaurant is situated in Halifax, Nova Scotia, bringing out the original flavours of India to life.
- The Mixed appetizer: a combo dish that includes vegetable samosa, chicken moms, and vegetable pakora. Samosa is a stuffed snack that; is fried to golden. The stuffing base is potatoes; mixed with other vegetables with some masala. Vegetable pakora is a fried snack where gram flour-coated vegetables are deep-fried. Momos are nothing but dumplings served with a spicy, tangy sauce.
- Masala Papadum: These are crispy flatbreads made of lentils and garnished with spicy vegetables.
- Juicy chicken curry, freshly prepared veggie feast, and tender lamb dish are their famous varieties.
The Main Dish Includes:
- Chicken Tikka Masala: Juicy chicken pieces cooked in spicy tomato gravy with cream.
- Butter Chicken: Mild fried chicken pieces cooked in a spicy, creamy sauce with butter.
- Palak Paneer: Soft paneer pieces(cottage cheese) cooked in spinach gravy with spices and cream.
- Rajma Masala: It is a red kidney bean curry where garlic, onion, tomato, green chillies, and coriander are the gravy seasoning.
Bread Item Includes:
- Naan bread
- Naans are flatbreads made of flour, yoghurt, and milk. The variety consists of butter naan, garlic naan, and plain naan.
- Kerala Parotta
- Layered flatbread made of maida.
- Tandoori Roti
- Whole wheat flour flatbread cooked in a tandoori oven. They also serve butter tandoori roti as per customers’ demand.
Rice items include:
- Vegetable Biryani
- Mostly they use basmati rice as biryani rice slow-cooked with freshly ground spices in a biriyani gravy and garnish it with vegetable fried.
- Gulab Jamun
- Small dumplings of thickened milk are fried and soaked in sugar syrup with rose water.
- Small balls of Chhena and semolina dough cooked in sugar syrup.
- Cheesed Cake
- Tea varieties: black, ginger, lemon, peppermint, and green.
- Mango Lassi: A Punjabi special drink made of fresh mangoes and yoghurt with lots of ice cubes.
- Chai: Milk tea
2. Curry Village
Address: 1569 Dresden Row, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J2K4
The curry village is an exquisite Indian restaurant with great outdoor seating that serves unique flavours of India.
For the preparations, they use fresh ingredients. The menu shows a wide variety of flavoured dishes and takes time to prepare since each food item gets served by the customer’s choice.
They avoid animal fat, MSG, or preservatives in their food. The curry village is an Indian restaurant that focuses on diversity in food culture, inspired by Mughal dishes.
They offer flavour-filled lunch specials, gluten-free dishes, and vegan-friendly options. Curry village also offers online services.
- Vegetable Samosa: It contains two pieces of deep-fried veggie stuff-pockets.
- Papadum is a wafer-like dish made of lentils deep-fried in vegetable oil. These can also be served with rice or eaten as a snack.
- Aloo Tikki: is a potato dish where mashed potatoes mix with ginger, garlic, and green chillies. They are deep-fried in vegetable oil and paired with sweet chilli sauce.
- Amazing tandoor specials like chicken tandoori soup with naan bread or biryani rice.
- Shrimp Biryani: Basmati rice, fried shrimp, and fried veggies are cooked with fresh spices and rose water and garnished with raisins, fried onions, and butter.
- Butter chicken and soup served with rice or bread.
- Combo for two contains onion bhaji, Sheek kabab, chicken curry, chicken tandoori, and mixed vegetables with rice or bread for your choice.
- Chana masala and soup served with rice or chapati.
- Fish Curry: Boneless fish cooked in a spicy sauce of tomatoes and coconut milk with some freshly ground spices.
- Lamb Madras: The tender meat simmered in a spicy hot sauce made of extra red chillies, lime juice, and other spices. The use of high heat and the gravy texture locks the tenderness of the meat, and it becomes savoury and juicy. It can be the best combo with rice or chapati.
- This platter contains Sheek kabab, beef curry, chicken tikka, mixed vegetables, pulao rice, naan, onion bhaji, and tandoori chicken. Two people can enjoy this item.
- It includes Mulligatawny soup, butter chicken, some mixed starters, peas pulao, chicken tikka, and desserts. Two people can enjoy this platter.
3. Rasa Flavors of India
Address: 1542 Birmingham Street, B3J3T2, Halifax ns
It is an Indian restaurant in the Halifax regional municipality; as the name suggests, they offer a real rasa( essence) of India and its culture.
They serve with total perfection, from the number of ice cubes to the amount of spiciness; everything is well polished. Even discuss the menu with the customers and follow their diet without compromising the quality.
To serve the best Indian dishes, they present fresh ingredients with utmost care. This shop in Halifax, Nova Scotia, changes its ambience according to the occasion if requested by customers.
They also have vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free dishes.
- Tandoori Chicken: They use a yoghurt batter for the coating, where the chicken chunks will get the ginger-garlic flavour with some spices.
- Chicken Tikka Hariyali: They use boneless chicken; coated with ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder.
- Vegetable Biryani
- Sheek Kabab
- Prawn Masala
- Dal Makhani
- Chole and Bhatura
- Mulligatawny soup
- Fried Shrimp
Special Platter includes:
- Maharaja PlatterIt includes dishes like Lamb Sheek Kabab, Malai chicken tikka, Chicken Tikka, and Amritsari fish.
- Maharani PlatterIt includes dishes like Paneer Tikka Ajwaini, Dahi Ke kabab, Tandoori Broccoli, and Tandoori Bharawa Aloo.
- Paneer Tikka Makhmali: They marinate paneer( cottage cheese), onions, and bell peppers in the creamy mixture of cardamom and cashew and grill in a clay oven.
Bread Special includes:
- Garlic Naan
- Laccha Parantha
- They use wheat flour to make this soft layered bread.
- Keema Kulcha
- They use lamb stuffing in the bread and serve it.
- Peshawari Naan
- They use coconut, raisins, pistachios, cashew, and almonds as stuffing for naan bread and serve it with honey.
- Masala Tea
- They serve milk tea with the goodness of fresh spices like Green Cardamom and cloves.
- Masala Lassi
- They use fresh green chillies, ginger, and roasted cumin; blended with yoghurt and salt.
- Mango Lassi
- They mix mango puree with sweet yoghurt.
4. Dhaba Express
Address: 8 Oland Crescent, Halifax ns, B3s1c6, Canada
For the past seven consecutive years, Dhaba Express has secured the first position as the best Indian restaurant in Halifax. It is a family-owned restaurant that offers authentic Indian meals from the north and south regions.
This restaurant in Halifax ns offers dine-in and takeaway services. It offers an ‘all-you-can-eat’ lunch buffet on weekends, serving special desserts and halal meat dishes.
They serve gluten-free dishes. They offer the most flavoured tasty dishes in vegetarian options. They do have a wine bar that is fully licensed.
The Appetizers Include:
- Onion Bhaji: onion + veggies deep fried, Hotly served with chai as a snack.
- Paneer Samosa
- Salads and soup
- Aloo Madras
The Main Menu Includes:
- Chana Masala
- Fresh chickpeas cooked with sauteed onion, tomatoes, ginger, and spices. The best chana masala you can ever have in Halifax ns. This delicacy is either served with rice or Indian bread.
- Aloo Gobi
- It is a traditional dish served in India, mainly with roti or naan. Here, fresh potatoes and cauliflower sauteed with some veggies like onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and ginger-garlic, and complete it with the touch of special masala and spices.
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken chunks are mildly fried and cooked in a saucy gravy. The gravy is the paste of sauteed onions and tomatoes seasoned with spices. The chicken pieces are juicy and tender because of the perfect marination in a yoghurt batter, and the use of butter makes it even more flavorful.
- Matar Paneer
- To a creamy curry mixture, finely chopped paneer chunks are added, made of onion-tomato paste, and sauteed with green peas and spices. It is mainly served with pulao (rice) or with Indian bread. The best paneer dish served in Halifax ns.
Special Condiments Include:
- Mango Chutney
- In mango chutney, a paste of traditional Indian raw mangoes, some sour ingredients, and fresh chillies is the base.
- Tamarind Chutney
The Special Menu Includes:
- Coconut Kingfish Curry: Kingfish pieces cooked in a creamy curry sauce of rich and spicy coconut slurry. The coconut flavour gives a different vibe to the fish pieces, and the spices evoke an aromatic smell that invites the customer’s attention. It is a famous South-Indian dish served with rice.
- Super Sweet SamplerThis sweet sampler contains one Rasmalai (cottage cheese sweetened in double cream milk), one Gulab Jamun, and one mango custard.
- Kerala PorattaIt is a South-Indian flat bread made of maida or refined wheat flour. While cooking, using oil creates a texture of crunchy and soft. In Kerala, they serve this bread with either beef or chicken. If you want the best Kerala Porotta in Halifax, visit this place.
- Lamb Curry
Murgh Makani, or Butter Chicken, is a classic Indian dish: spicy, sweet, and sour. Mildly fried chicken pieces simmered in a tangy sauce make the chicken juicy and flavorful.
The best part of this dish is its sauce, made of tomato, butter, and onion as the main ingredient, along with spices like turmeric, garam masala, dried fenugreek leaf, red chilli powder, ginger-garlic, and salt.
The marination, high-heat Indian cooking technique, sweet-sour-spicy flavour, and creamy texture make it an unavoidable and favourite dish of people who loves Indian food. Another important fact is that it can pair up with rice and bread.
Kundan Lal Gujral, the father of Butter Chicken, experiments with the leftover chicken chunk and tomato and has now grabbed the pallets of people around the world.
If you are a resident or a visitor in Halifax who wishes to enjoy some Indian Dhamaka cuisines, visit the above-recommended places with your family and friends. Enjoy the hidden beauty of Indian culture with its cuisine and share happiness with everyone.