What attracts students to study in Canada is high academic quality and affordable tuition fees. The demand for Study Permit Canada is really high. People from far east Asian countries like India, Singapore, and Australia and New Zealand are crazy about their kids to study in Canada. The demand for Study Permit Canada is effective all across the globe.
In August 2019 alone, almost 70,000 students from all over the world applied for the Study Permit Canada.
How to get Study Permit Canada in 2020?
What is a Study Permit Canada?
The Study Permit is an official document issued by the Canadian Government for the foreign national students to get approved for study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in their country.
The Study Permit Canada is not a VISA.
What is the duration of your Study Permit?
The Study Permit is valid for the whole length of your study program with an addition of extra 90 days (or, lets’s say 3 months) you get a surplus validity.
This extra 90 day is for all your preparations regarding leaving the country, remaining institution works, or extension of your Study Permit.
There are some exceptions that we need to watch out:
1. If you finish your studies after your Study Permit expires:
If this situation comes that you’ll finish your studies at your institution after your Study Permit Canada got expired, you’ll immediately need to apply for the extension of your Study Permit.
If you don’t take measures on time, you’ll need to pause your study and leave Canada, as soon as possible.
2. If you finish your studies before your Study Permit expires:
If the situation arises that you finished your study before the expiration of your Study Permit Canada, your permit will stop being valid 90 days or 3 months after you complete your studies.
The institution will provide you a completion certificate with a date your institute will notify you, a letter, transcript, a degree, or diploma.
Can you visit home while studying?
Yes, you can.
But when you’re arriving in Canada again, make sure you need to show the proof that you’re enrolled in a Canadian Institute.
To study and get the Study Permit Canada you need to have the following:
- You must be enrolled at any specialized institution in Canada or simply a Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
- You should have no criminal record in the past times. Get yourself a Police Clearance Certificate from your police station.
- Get yourself a medical exam and have a medical certificate in order to prove you’re in a good health.
- You need to bear all your tuition fees for the institution, bear your living expenses for yourself throughout the time you’ll be staying there.
- You can arrange the transportation system for yourself and for all your family members who come to Canada with you.
Student Direct Stream:
What is a Student Direct Stream?
A Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a scheme by the Canadian Government which allows students to get the study permit faster depending upon the place you live.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Student Direct Stream Program, you must be a resident of the following countries:
- The Philippines
Other eligibility criteria include:
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate of CAD $10,000:
The GIC or Guaranteed Investment Certificate is a Canadian Investment program, that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. One can get GICs from banks that offer them.
- Police Certifications and Medical Exams:
Depending upon the place you’re applying from you may require a Police Clearance Certificate from your local police station signed and sealed by the authority.
If you’re coming to Canada to study healthcare, child care, or elder care, or if you’ve lived anywhere else than Canada, you may need a medical certificate certified by a qualified doctor.
If you fail to do so, they will not process your document furthermore.
- Language Test: To be eligible for a Study Permit Canada, you need to score 6.0 or higher in each of the skill i.e. reading, speaking, writing, and listening, provided by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or, a score of 7 in each of these skills provided by Test d’évaluation de français(TEF), which is kind of equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB).
After you successfully applied for the Student Direct Stream, its time for you to register your biometrics.
Once the authority receives your biometrics, mostly within 20 business days, the applications are processed successfully if you’re eligible.
1. Proof of acceptance: You need to show the proof of acceptance for your study program from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada in order to get your Study Permit. Be it the electronic copy of the original one, place your acceptance document while applying for it.
2. Proof of identity: When you’re applying online you need to upload the information page of your valid passport. After you get approved, then you’re required to send them the original one.
You’re also required to send two recent passport-size photos (not older than 6 months), with the name and DOB of the person applying, written on the back of each photo.
3. Proof of financial support: Here’s the document(s) you can show as proof of your financial support:
- Your bank statement for the past 4 months.
- If you’ve taken a student loan, get your loan bonafide certificate from the bank.
- If you’ve transferred money to Canada, you can show the proof of a Canadian bank account preceding to your name.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate or GIC from any eligible Canadian financial institution.
- A bank draft that later can be converted to Canadian Dollars.
- Proof of your payment of institutional tuition fees and housing expenditures.
- If your guardian is paying your expenses, a letter heading to his name will be appreciated.
4. Certificat d’acceptation du Québec: If you wish to study in Quebec, you need this CAQ issued by the Government of Quebec and a study permit by the federal government. International students willing to apply for courses of study lasting more than 6 months in Quebec need to apply for this. The institution you’re willing to study must be recognized by the Quebec Government Ministry.
Check out the Documents Required, here
How to apply?
Applying for the Study Permit Canada at the port of entry in Canada or through letters is outdated as well as a time-consuming process.
Generally, one must apply online for the study permit before coming to Canada.
Applying online these days is a less time-consuming, quick, and efficient way to work out the application. Here are the advantages of applying online:
- Applications are processed more quickly.
- You get timely and regular updates on the status of your application on your e-mail or the online account.
- You can make sure you meet all the requirements for the application before submitting it.
- No courier fees i.e. the whole process will be done online.
- Submitting documents online is very easy. You’ll be able to choose efficiently which documents you actually require.
- You can scan and process and upload your documents in a quick go.
- You can make payment for the application easily and efficiently using your Credit or Debit Card or Net-banking.
Your application is considered a complete application only when you have:
- Submitted all the necessary documents required for the Study Permit Canada.
- Answered all of the questions asked in the application form.
- Paid your fees at the end of your application.
You can view or check the status of your application by logging into your online account.
At the end of your online application, you’re asked to pay your fees online. Here’s what you’ll pay for:
- Biometrics Fee
- Application Processing Fee
You may be required to pay some third party fees:
- Police Certification
- Language Testing
- Medical Health Certificates
- VISA Application Centre Services (services to charge if you use)
Get complete information regarding Fees, here
Study Permit Canada: Post-successful application:
1. Get your biometrics done:
After you pay your biometrics fees, its time for you to get your biometrics done. One can have 30 days duration to give the biometrics in person.
All you need to know about Biometrics:
Step 1: You need to pay the biometrics fee while submitting your application.
Step 2: Youll gets a follow-up letter or e-mail after confirmation of your fee. That document will consist of the name of the place you’ll visit for the biometrics.
You have to carry the letter/e-mail with you while visiting the collection center.
Step 3: Make an appointment to give your biometrics. Visit the official biometrics collection point mentioned in the letter.
They’ll make you visit once again if they aren’t able to get high-quality fingerprints or face capture.
2. Processing of the Study Permit:
Your applications will be check thoroughly by their officials and they’ll make sure you have met the requirements of all the necessary documents.
3. Approval of application:
If your application gets approved, you’ll get a letter or possibly, an e-mail, which is a letter of introduction. Also alongside, an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a visitor VISA will be sent to you accordingly.
Remember, that Letter of Introduction is not your Study Permit.
They may also reject your application if you didn’t match what they asked for along with a letter explaining why they refused your application.
4. Arriving in Canada:
When you arrive in Canada, at the port of contact you’ll meet a Border Service Officer who’ll verify your documents. He may ask you some questions regarding your visit and will make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements to enter Canada.
The Border Service Officer can ask you for the following documents:
- A valid passport
- The Letter of Introduction upon approval of the Study Permit
- A valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or visitor visa
- Acceptance letter from the registered institution
- Your financial stability certificates
Carry these documents along with you and show them upon asking.
5. Disclose your funds you’re carrying:
You should disclose your total funds to the Border Services Officer if you’re carrying more than CAD $10,000 upon arrival. The funds include cash, cheque, drafts, or any bond securities.
If you don’t disclose your funds upon arrival, it may lead to complete seizure of those.
The Canadian Government doesn’t pay for health or medical insurances for foreign students. You have to arrange all those of your own. In case, you can contact your desired institution for more information.
Who doesn’t need the Student Permit Canada?
- If your course doesn’t exceed the duration of 6 months, you need no Student Permit, i.e. it is not a longer course.
- If your family member or staff member is in the association with a foreign representative to Canada that has been accredited by Global Affairs Canada, you need no such Student Permit to study in Canada.
- If you’re a part of a foreign military force with official duties in Canada, you don’t need a Student representative.
- If you’re a citizen of any country but registered in Canada as their citizen, you don’t need any Study Permit.
Your responsibilities in Canada:
- Respect the terms and conditions listed on the Student Permit Canada.
- Make progress only for your study only.
- Leave Canada, in case you no longer meet the requirements or your Study Permit expires.
Know how to extend your Study Permit Canada, here
Your Study Permit Conditions:
- Don’t take authorized leaves more than 150 days from your course of study.
- You need to be enrolled at any recognized learning institution.
- If you no longer meet the requirements, end your study.
- Leave Canada when your study permit expires or apply for an extension before.
- If you’re allowed to work as a student in Canada, then you can either work on or off-campus, or, you can pursue an internship.
Here in this article, we came to know about all the cats and dogs about the Study Permit Canada. Hope I’m able to answer your ticking questions about how to get your Study Permit to study in your favorite institute in Canada.
If you wish to pursue higher education in Canada and if you meet the requirements, its high time for you to do follow what is listed above.
All the best. Make your motherland proud. Be a good person!