Vancouver is known as the Film capital of Canada. Moreover, this city in Western Canada is home to prestigious film schools. The drastic changes in the field of entertainment and technology have brought a wide range of career opportunities in film and media.
If you are passionate about following a career path in film and media then Vancouver will be a fitting place to start your learning journey. Vancouver Film Schools offer the most sought-after Certification courses and Bachelor’s Degrees in Film Studies and related fields.
Keep reading to get complete details regarding the 5 top film schools in Vancouver, Canada.
Top 5 Vancouver Film Schools
There has been a growing demand for STEM subjects in the higher education sector in the past years because of the general notion that the STEM field offers more career options.
But this took a turn in recent years due to many trends in the global education sector and the realization that the Arts subjects are also helpful to attain successful careers.
As a result, many native and international students started to choose the Arts field. Among them, Film Studies have a growing demand in the sector.
When it comes to Canada, the country poses as the largest film-producing centre globally. It opens plenty of job options for students of film schools.
If you are a student looking for the best Vancouver Film Schools, here is the list of the Top 5 Vancouver Film Schools.
1. Capilano University
Location: 2055 Purcell Way North Vancouver, BC V7J 3H5
Located in North Vancouver at the Bosa Centre for Film and Animation. The Capilano School of Motion Picture Arts is known for its modern campus. It has an ultra-modern studio with the latest types of equipment.
CapU students have the opportunity to learn from industry professionals. Capilano’s active Alumni Association is a plus.
Furthermore, all programs have Practical learning, Placement, research work, and work experience. It will contribute to improving your industry knowledge.
One will be able to work immediately with Capilano’s career-oriented programs.
1.1. Details of the Courses
- CapU offers many courses like Diploma and Certification Programs in Film making and Costuming they provide undergraduate programs in Motion Picture Arts.
- Capilano is the only film school with Indigenous Film Programs in the whole of North America.
- They grant scholarships, Awards, and Bursaries for all students based on merit and financial need.
- Small-kept classes are helpful for individual attention and focus.
2. Emily Carr
Location: 520 East 1st Ave Vancouver, BC V5T 0H2
Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a perfect place for aspiring filmmakers, designers, and Animators. ECU is located in Central Vancouver.
ECU is for those students with an interest in experimental and avant-garde filmmaking. Emily Carr offers several external scholarships and full-time tuition scholarships.
For incoming students, an entrance scholarship is also available. Eligibility depends on your merit and performance.
Actress Annie Liu, German novelist, and artist Douglas Coupland, New York-based Sculptor and painter Brian Kokoska, and Canadian cartoonist Lynn Johnston are some of the famous alumni. They have plenty of former students working in the film industry.
They have state-of-the-art equipment and experienced industry professionals to impart quality education.
Being Canada’s Top university for art and design, ECU offers a kind experience to art students.
2.1. Details of the Courses
- They offer plenty of undergraduate, major, and minor programs. Emily Carr is dedicated to art students from all over the world.
- ECU offers special teen courses, including Game Design, Coding, UX Design, 2D Animation, etc.
- For international students, they provide 24/7 counselling services.
- They conduct classes of industry leaders. Industry training is an added advantage therefore it will result in improved skills.
3. Infocus Film School
Location: 554 Seymour St.Vancouver, BC, Canada
Industry-led theory and affordable programs taught through industry-standard techniques are major attractions of Infocus.
Many students work immediately after completing courses from this downtown Vancouver film school.
3.1. Details of the Courses
- Infocus provides certification programs and diploma courses in film production, screenwriting for film and TV, 3D animation, documentary films, VFX, graphic design, and digital design.
- They offer eligible students the possibility of credit transfer with Capilano University’s programs.
- Whether your focus is on creating a unique artistic identity while taking experimentation and creative risks Infocus has your back.
4. Vancouver Film School
Location: 198 West Hastings St.Vancouver, BC, Canada V6B 1H2Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vancouver Film School, famously known as VFS is a reputed film school in Canada. It is located in downtown Vancouver. For aspiring film students VFS offers excellent programs.
VFS has partnered with eight campuses to provide degree programs to students. Students will be able to obtain a VFS Diploma and a university bachelor’s degree.
VFS has announced diverse scholarship programs for domestic and international students throughout the years.
VFS students learn industry-standard techniques and applicable skills once they complete the program of their choice. Students get training. They have the opportunity to learn from industry pros.
VFS has produced a huge number of successful alumni in its history. Directors like Kevin Smith and Neill Blomkamp, Canadian actor Steve Lund, and actresses like Jewel Staite and Sara Canning are some of the sought-after celebrity alumni of VFS.
VFS is entirely a private college with a lovely campus. It provides superb programs related to the film and design industry.
4.1. Details of the Courses
- They have various programs for film production, acting, VFX, Visual Effects, animation, makeup design, directing, and digital design.
- Vancouver Film School alumni have a high percentage of success rate. They also give opportunities to students to collaborate with industry experts to do creative projects together.
- When it comes to VFS, the programs are a bit more expensive. However, the quality of education and the career opportunities offered by VFS courses are undeniably excellent.
5. University of British Columbia
Location: 2329 West MallVancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z4
UBC is a friendly campus situated in the west of Vancouver. Ranked among the top 20 public universities, this massive university provides excellent 4 year Bachelor’s Degrees in film studies and direction.
The admission process is somewhat tricky. Eligible International and domestic students can apply.
A student needs to get accepted by the university. Unlike domestic students, UBC can be expensive for international students.
They have advanced infrastructure and award-winning faculty. Altogether UBC offers extraordinary academic life.
UBC prepares students career-ready. The film Studies program focuses on the theoretical aspects of global films. If you are looking for more technical and practical-oriented programs this will not work for you.
5.1. Details of the Courses
- UBC has a BA in Cinema Studies program that focuses on cinematic practices.
- BA in Theatre Studies is another course offered at UBC. Both of these programs have major and minor options.
- The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Theatre and Film Programs offers more practical options unlike the first two. Students can learn acting, film production, and design and production.
Few Worthy Suggestions
Here is a list of a few film schools located in Vancouver. You can also check out these schools, they offer different programs in filmmaking, writing, acting, television, animation, visual effects, and digital media.
- Langara College
- LaSalle College Vancouver
- Simon Fraser University
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
All these Vancouver film schools are globally known for their sought-after programs. For a student aspiring to build a successful career in the film and television industry, there is no other perfect place than Vancouver.
These institutions have never ceased to produce exceptional groups of promising and creative film students. They will continue to do so.
If you are interested in making a thriving career in the film industry, these colleges put forth great options to grab your dream job after graduation.